At the University of Nottingham’s HackSoc, we hold a lot of workshops and other events. I realised that, whilst people were filtering into the venue, it would be a perfect time for them to prepare for the event and load any relevant documents before the event started. As such, I created an automatically advancing slide show system which we could use to show important information.
At the moment, the things we’ve put on the slides most often are:
- What the current event is
- If it's a workshop, then the document that's being taught from, so people can follow along
- If it's a speaker event, then the name of the person and the title of their talk
- Any upcoming events in the next few weeks
- Information regarding membership
By default, the slide show progresses after 15 seconds with a transition of the HackSoc logo, but if we need to we can pause the system on a particular slide, or progress to the next slide before the 15 seconds elapses (using the space bar and enter button, respectively).